Monday, October 8, 2007

Badrinath bats for India !

Finally !

I have waited to write this post for years !

I have ELP to review, PAEV to work on, term 5 and placements work all of which is easily measured by the ton. But I put all that aside to write about my friend who today has taught me what perseverance is all about.

They said only one boy from TN can make it into the squad. You need influence, and not just skill to get in, they said.When he was a youngster, he was too young. As he matured in stature, we feared whether they would say -"He's too old". Scrawny and thin, would he match the sledging of the Aussie, the build of the South African,the wiles of the English,the pace of the West Indian, the passion of the Pakistani ?

I remember him on the playfields of PSBB, as the batsman who never got out.The guy who sat in the last bench of my class and was always easy with his laugh. The boy who gave his all for the game, and finally, finally has been rewarded in turn.

Now,as he dons the baggy blue and shares a locker with Sachin,Dravid,Dhoni et al. my prayers go to him for his success. May he do well.

Finally, I've always shunned the game taking it to be a waste of time. I've always bet against India, because I still believe they are an all-star cast first and a team later. But now Badri, I'll cheer for India, and watch every ball when you step on the field. This is my tribute to your triumph.We'll all be watching out for you.

Chak de whatever !

7 comments:

Lavanya said...

Hey this guy's bro studied with me in school:-) Good to know!

Malesh Ponnusamy said...

Well, finally Battery gets his due. All the best to him!!!

Satish Bhat said...

Lavanya,

I remember his bro, was another scrawny thing too...they stay pretty close to ur home.

Malesh,he still has not got into the playing eleven, so i'll stay peeled to the TV for some more time...

Malesh Ponnusamy said...

Yup!!! he might have made a difference to the ongoing series? Time will tell. He is popular among cricket followers. They say he is a valuable player that the Indian team has ignored for a long time. Hope it is not too late like Robin Singh.

Ram N said...

looks like he's proved one more point y'day by a 82 runs innings ....

Vishnu Vasudev said...

And he's been dropped!

Satish Bhat said...

Arasiyal le idhu yellam sagajhamappa !